Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Knight Lights

I was back with My Boys last tonight!



The first year my sister was a cheerleader, I skipped the games due to the fact that I despised football. Well, at that point, I despised most sports that didn't include horses. But when she made the Varsity cheerleading team, they got to travel to Paradise (some hick town a few hours away), and I decided to tag along for the novelty. I learned at that game that football isn't so bad, it's fun when they win, and my sister's cheerleading team was actually pretty good.



As the season progressed, I fell more and more in love with the team, getting to know the boys and learning that once I understood the game, football was actually quite entertaining (though I have since concluded that this does not apply to NFL football, where the players are all jerks and different rules apply. College football I seem to love just as much. Go Bears!!) I went to every game, and was even crying when we scored the winning touchdown with 23 seconds left to go to the championships. I learned more from that game, I think, than most of my own high school experiences. We finished the season 12-1, only losing the championship game (had we won, we would have been Northern California champions, and gone on to state).



Most of the guys graduated last year and went on to college. Though they were all an integral part of our winning team, none of them are playing in college, though a couple of them should be: Paclebar, Shapiro (omg, what a kick), and Yago to name a few. The only guys back for their senior year are Sean Delfani and Diante Jackson. Jackson is our star, the one that makes amazing one-handed catches great plays. Apparently, he attended the USC training camp as a mere sophomore. I guess if he plays for them next year, I'll just have to set aside my pride and go to a USC game (blah Go Bears). That's Jackson on the right. Number One!!



I was thrilled to go back for the first game last night. Even though we've moved and Amy isn't a Knight anymore, they're still My Boys!! It was nice sitting back up in those bleachers. Leave it to San Francisco to cool off so dramatically so quickly. A few nights ago, it was 95 degrees and dark, but I'd say fall has definitely come in along with football season. Though I was shivering uncontrollably, I wouldn't have it any other way! Nothing says football season more than sitting in the aluminum bleachers wrapped up in my scarf, gloves, and Knights sweatshirt.

Too bad they suck this year. We played California High from San Ramon (my aunt and uncle both attended Cal High) and they slaughtered us. The final score was 22-9 Cal. What a difference a year makes. I didn't recognize any of the names on the sidelines, which was wierd. Luckily USC already knows Jackson is a hell of a player, because he didn't get much opportunity to shine last night. Yago had some off games as QB last year, but at least he could get the ball to his players.

*Sigh*. Oh well, I'll be back next week. Go Knights!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Cal High NEVER won when I cheered for them!

Lynn said...

Just a block away, Cal High football is my new Friday Night Lights. They are what Las Lomas was last year.